Saturday, January 14, 2012

Applique

My mom was able to teach me how to applique (successfully, without fighting) over Thanksgiving. I have been OBSESSED with applique now.

I used to think, omg, applique is for old women. Which is partially true because my mom is trying to convince me to join her on some of her quilt retreats. In her defense, I hear there is always booze at quilt retreats!

Where was I? Oh yes...applique is so fantastic! Here's proof :)
I got this idea from Pinterest...it's a football for everyone who is saying, WTF?
It's cute and you know it.
This is a gift for an undisclosed recipient.


This was a Christmas present for my cousin's son, Ridley.



So was this one :)

If you're going to applique I HIGHLY suggest "Steam-a-seam" sticky backing. I don't know many other brands but this one is good stuff. You can choose your desired stiffness. This one is a bit more stiff than I'd like but I might as well use it until it's gone!


The ONLY confusion with applique is how to cut your fabric and backing to the desired orientation of the design. I would definitely start out with a design that is the same no matter front from back. If you want to go for a trickier design it will just involve thinking before tracing. SO FUN!! So easy!



0 comments: